Zelos Force (Spelled 'Zeros Force' in Japan) is a boss that occasionally appears in the Gradius series. It first appeared in Salamander as the core of the Salamander Planetoid. It always appears as a giant red eyeball and was also created by the Bacterians as a planet-modifying system to change planet Latis into an organic fortress for the Bacterians. Since it is a organic weapon and also a living creature, some Zelos Forces are seen in different situations they normally would be in - such as manipulating a core unit, transforming into another creature, and living in wild.
Whilst originally appearing as a non-combatant final boss. In a few games, Zelos gained additional attacks:
- Salamander: Zelos' only method of harming the player in this game is to collide with them, as he approaches from behind, it may surprise new players. He will then be held in place by the four stabilizers, these must be destroyed to eliminate Zelos. Upon his defeat, the screen will lurch forward quickly, and the base will attempt to shut the player in - this is very hard to survive.
- PC Engine port of Salamander: In this game, Zelos not only approaches from behind but he also shoots red lightning and his core has to be hit in order for him to be destroyed. Lightning Bolts, however, can remove Options/Multiples when struck.
- Salamander MSX: In this game, Zelos is a free floating entity, and will move around the screen, spawning enemies that will home in onto you. If you can get your option stuck inside Zelos, he will be defeated very quickly. Upon his defeat, Zelos will summon Metal Slave, a very powerful Core Warship.
- Lifeforce NES: Zelos is now protected by a snake creature, which wraps itself round him, firing the occasional fireball. This snake must be defeated before taking on Zelos. It is possible to move around Zelos, but doing this will warp the player back earlier in the game. Upon his defeat, the screen will lurch forward quickly, and the base will attempt to shut the player in - this is very hard to survive.
- Gradius II NES: Appearing in the Boss Rush stage, Zelos will now cause the screen to flash with lightning - this is only for show - his real attack is to create several orbs that will attempt to home into you. These can be destroyed.
- Gradius IV: Upon defeat of Berial, Zelos will appear and grow to massive proportions - he will attempt to destroy the player with a circle volley of lasers. After two volleys, he will automatically self destruct.
- Gradius Gaiden: Zelos will first appear piloting Grave. Later in the game, O.V.U.M. will use Zelos' image as scare tactics.
- He shows up in later games, such as Gradius V as a basic enemy. They can expand their size to massive proportions. And there's a lot of them. And they go "Waaah!" when killed, just like the original.
The Zelos Force appears in the first episode of the Salamander anime series. It serves as the core of the Salamander, which the heroes attempt to destroy. Much like in the original game it never attacks, though it is protected by a exceptionally strong version of the Intruder.
- In Salmander MSX, Venom is reincarnated inside Zelos and leads the Salamander Attack Force.
- In the PC Engine port of Salamander, Zelos has a covering on his core that opens and closes constantly. This suggests that Zelos is a living mechanical core.
- Zelos Force bears some resemblance to the Kirby character Zero
|Ships||Vic Viper • Lord British • Sabel Tiger and Thrasher (Iggy Rock and Zowie Scott) • Super Cobra • Galaxy • Purple Emperor • Red Devil|
|Salamander stages||Bionic Germ • Meteorite Space • Burning Chaos • Volcano Area • Salamander Planetoid|
|Salamander (MSX) stages||Top Flight Speed to Latis • Conduct to Space Station Zot • Set the Crush Blow System - Planet Eioneus • Set the Crush Blow System - Planet Lavinia • Set the Crush Blow System - Planet Kierke • Wrath of Venom • Crush Salamander|
|Life Force-only stages||Organic Speed Zone • Temple Zone|
|Salamander 2 stages||Sub-life Space • Prominence Fortress • Bio Hazard • Huge Battleship • Asteroid • Doom Fortress|
|Salamander bosses||Brain Golem • Tetran • Intruder • Fortress Valis • Death • Big Core X3 • Jumping Moai • Zelos Force|
|Port exclusive bosses||Zylom • Gaw • Giga • Tutankhamon • Dead End • Enigma • True Venom • Metal Slave • Zelos Barrier|
|Salamander 2 bosses||Biter • Hydra • Abadon • Tenny Rop • Plate Core • Cerberus • Doom|
|Stages (Arcade)||Artificial Sun • Alien • Crystal • Volcano • Revenge of Moai • High Speed Zone • Boss Rush • Gofer Ship Interior|
|Port-Exclusive Stages||Volcano - Crystal (NES) • Enemy Base (NES) • Gofer's Lair (NES) • Temple (PC-E)|
|Bosses||Phoenix • Big Eye • Giga (NES) • Crystal Core • Death MK II • Jumping Moai • Big Moai • Desert Core (PC Engine) • Big Core MK II • Zub Rush • Big Core • Tetran • Gaw • Intruder • Zelos Force (NES) • Covered Core • Demos • Crab • Gofer|
|End Bosses & Major Enemies|
|Major Recurring Foes||Gofer • Bacterion • Dr Venom • Zelos Force (Zeros) • Lars Empire|
|Minor Enemies||Xaerous Brain • O.V.U.M. • Eleos Brain • Mother Computer Z • Guardian Core • Central Server • Genocide Core • Metal Slave • Zelos Barrier • Doom|
|Episodes||Episode 1: Salamander • Episode 2: Paula's Meditation • Episode 3: Gofer's Ambition|
|Characters||Ike Lord British • Dan • Stephanie McBain • Eddie Evans • Doromo • Ministers • Lee McBain • Paula • Gofer|
|Enemies||Rugal • Sharp Cross • Brain Golem • Giga • Zelos Force • Intruder • Tentacle • Big Core MK I • Moai • Xaerous Brain • Fire Dragon • Death Hand • Big Eye • Dee-01 • Phoenix|